WHY HAVE COUNSELING IN SCHOOLS and WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
Schools have repeatedly been demonstrated to be an ideal place to provide counseling services to students to increase academic, social, emotional and behavioral success. Research shows that school counseling prevention and intervention programs have a substantial impact on students’ educational and personal development.
Lotus provides a variety of school-based counseling programs tailored to fit the needs of your school, students, families and staff. We offer individual counseling, small group solution-focused counseling, class-wide presentations, behavior intervention, crisis response services, parent/guardian education and staff training.
Whether you need a full-time counselor at your campus, counseling services one to four days per week, or want to be able to call a professional counselor for immediate crisis intervention, Lotus is here.
WHAT DO OUR COUNSELORS DO?
- Act as an integral component of the educational system improving school climate by creating a positive learning environment and preparing and assisting students to be successful, lifelong learners
- Work collaboratively with your staff to assist students in making decisions, managing emotions, coping with crises, overcoming barriers to learning, and seeking access to the academic curriculum
- Use trauma-informed strategies to not only help reduce the effects of parents’ or guardians’ high Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), but also decrease the number of ACEs our students will go through.
- Improve students’ academic performance and increase the on-task, productive behavior of students while reducing disruptive behaviors
- Help students set short- and long-term goals, teach self-management skills, improve attendance, reduce and resolve conflicts and decrease referrals
HOW DO OUR COUNSELORS DO THIS?
Our focus is NOT on disorders, disability, dysfunction or disease. We use strength-based, positive psychology when working with our students, families and school staff, and focus more on building resiliency and resourcefulness, and less on correcting weaknesses, failures, or shortcomings. By educating everyone about the plasticity of the brain and how thoughts, feelings and behavior are all related and changeable, we encourage the development of a positive, growth mindset. This allows our students to not only succeed in school, but also in life!
Our school counselors are trained educators possessing a master’s degree in school counseling and a valid credential.
In-person counseling services are currently available to K-12 schools in Shasta County.
Get In Touch
For more info or to request an in-person consultation to see how Lotus can meet your school’s counseling needs.
Lotus Educational Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 493936 Redding, CA 96049